Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Bachelor: do they have control of their lives?


American Idol was never one of my favorite shows, in fact, I usually never watched it. The Bachelorette, and the Bachelor (not so much Bachelor Pad), however, is something that I absolutely love. I canʼt get enough of it, itʼs something that I hid in the closet and watch, because I know everybody will judge me because I'm watching it, because itʼs that sappy, and ridiculous of a show. As with American Idol, the show isnʼt real. Itʼs rigged, and each contestant, Bachelor or Bachelorette, is created into a house hold name, with a brand. One of the girls is nasty, one of the girls is the sweet home town gal , and another one is absolutely insane. Do I really think these girls are this way? Well...

This woman was known for her "crazy eyes."

I donʼt know. In the American Idolatry article, it explains that the contestants on the show sign their lives away, essentially the producers tell them “Hey cool ,you want to be on the show, so that means we get to do whatever we want to make sure you lose or win. Got it?” I can only assume that means they do the same with the contestants on the Bachelor. Or do they? Obviously, these girls are not the prize picks for each of the Bachelors. If the show was really about love and finding a soul mate and less about the drama, sex and ooey gooey romanticism, then the producers would match the bachelor and bachelorettes up much better than they do now. However, is the show just like American Idol? Where they take normal girls, and paint a terrible picture? Or do the producers find actually insane human beings and make them appear normal, until the end? Think about Ben and Courtney. If you donʼt know who Iʼm talking about, thatʼs fine, just skip ahead. Ben, was built up to be this adorable guy, who everybody loved. The peacemaker, the sweetheart, the lover. However, I got the distinct vibe that he thought he was cool stuff, an annoying player and had less stuff between his ears. Courtney was a real piece of work. She was absolutely crazy, saying things I could hardly imagine a criminal saying, let alone a woman who was supposed to be winning over the hearts of America as well as her suitor. Could she be that insane?

Kissing fish: a sign of insanity

I don't think so. I think, as the American Idolatry story explained, that the procures changed some key moments and made her sound like a old bat. This really begs the question though: after the show, do they still have control over every person This really begs the question though: after the show, do they still have control over every personsʼ identities, or do they get to go back to their old selves? Let me shed a little light on about what I’m talking about: the people are branded, sometimes as heroes, sometimes as evil men or women who we love to hate. However, that use to be a possibility for us to never hear from a contestant on reality television show ever again. If they were shown as a terrible person, then thatʼs what we thought of them. Today, however, is a time of technology, constantly everywhere. These characters are real people with public twitter and Facebook accounts, who tweet, post, upload media, and are seen out in the streets as a celebrity. Does The Jersey Shore make sure every tweet, post, etc. that Snookie posts is living up to her character theyʼve created? Or is Snookie free to do what she wants? Or maybe another explanation entirely the characters are just like characters on a movie, or scripted television show. Cast by directors, told what to do, and becoming a character. Then, they must be that character for the rest of their lives. Is it a stretch? Yes. Could it be possible? Yes. Is it plausible: maybe?
All I know, is know Iʼm looking at Emily Manyardʼs tweets a little more closely. 

2 comments:

  1. You bring up a very valid point and the reason I hate watching these type of shows. I often wonder if these people are really this crazy and if not, why don’t they just be themselves? I do like watching Survivor sometimes, and this makes me wonder if the players of that game “get direction” to create pseudo-characters. I’m thinking they probably do. As I was reading Martey and Consalvo, I couldn’t help thinking of your blog. These “reality” shows are creating real-life avatars. They aren’t the real people; they are shadows of themselves—or of the directors. The directors are playing grown-up Barbie and Ken make-believe. I was fascinated by how much our communication theories applied to these made-up situations, even to the point of reflecting personal values in a game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. Yes it is interesting and attractive. I like it. I would to share this: www.inventhistory.com
    Clothing
    Communication
    Entertainment
    Electric
    Financial
    Food Preparation
    Green Technology
    Software
    Warfare
    Transportation
    Instruments
    Office

    ReplyDelete