Thursday, April 18, 2013

Penny’s Avatar Addiction


Martey and Consalvo’s article was fascinating. Not being a gamer myself, I had no idea people took this kind of stuff so seriously. The closer I ever got to the gaming world was playing Roller Coaster tycoon when I was in middle school, and I horrible at it. My guests kept getting sick on the rides and never had enough bathrooms strategically placed around the park.

While reading the article, I kept referring back to an episode I watched on The Big Bang Theory about Penny losing all hope and delving into the gaming world with the help of Sheldon.

Little does Sheldon know that Penny will become addicted to her avatar and the power she has in the game.  
Through focusing so much on the game and her avatar, she completely loses track of time and responsibilities.















Penny’s friends try all sorts of things to get her to snap back to reality, but it takes a major “jolt” for her to realize she is losing touch and quits playing.

Why is it so enticing for people to lose themselves in these types of games?

2 comments:

  1. I wonder the same question as you! How in the world do people become so addicted to games, especially ones they create an avatar in. Some of the students in my graduating class in high school played World of Warcraft (at least I think that is what it's called) and would get very into it. If you messed with their game while they got up to use the restroom they would get very upset. Their world outside of the real world was almost more important to them. I forgot about this episode of the Big Bang Theory, but this is a perfect example of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicarious virtual living clearly has the potential to become self-destructive and unhealthy. I don't see anything wrong with having an ideal self in mind. Isn't that a form of goal setting? But when that self is virtually created and an unreal life that plays along with it and the creator becomes consumed, then I worry. I'm tired of people who celebrate the completion of ridiculous tasks and call them accomplishments. We should be more embarrassed than excited about admitting our waste-worthy accomplishments right? Get a life, and "Second Life" doesn't count.

    ReplyDelete