Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Crazy World of Convergence


                This week’s reading on Convergence Culture pretty much explains what we are doing in this class. We talk each week about different pop culture aspects and we often relate back to previous classes and link the different topics we talk about each week. We have each had our own experience with pop culture and we share those experiences with each other. I know that I have learned a lot and submersed myself in different types of pop culture because of the things that people have shared in this class.
                I started this class really not knowing about many pop culture references that were being discussed. This may be because of the age gap between some of my other peers or maybe I just spent less time watching television…. Just kidding. But, because of convergence, I feel much more aware of pop culture references and wanting to experience things I’ve never thought I would before. An example of this is watching “The Matrix”. I never in a million years thought that I would watch “The Matrix”. I’m not a fan of science fiction and probably still am not. But I still watched it so I could understand and I have a better understanding and a much larger appreciation for it.
                Jenkins quotes that “convergence happens not in technology but in social interactions”. I find this true. Most of what I consume is because I have heard about it from someone else. Then when I consume it I go on the internet and view what others are saying about it. Or if I am watching a television show I will go on and see the spoilers or previews. I will also go on and read the blogs from others that watch the show and she what their reaction to the episode was. I am doing all this at the same time as I am checking my email or chatting with a friend on Facebook.
                What is the craziest thing to me other than consumers spending all of their time immersed  in a pop culture reference is the fact that consumers are often immersed in multiple references at one time on multiple technologies. It is this crazy web of pop culture where you are able to access information at virtual anytime, anywhere, and we feel that we need to know all of this information or we are missing out on something. In one given moment, I can watch my favorite show, chat with multiple friends through Facebook, talk to my mom on the phone, while I do my homework, and use an app on my phone. We are a generation of multi-taskers. We rely on technology in order to function and are expected to know everything about everything. It is crazy the amount of things we do but at the same it is so easy and we often do them without thinking…..

Just like these kids think, it’s not complicated to do two things at once. Let’s embrace convergence!


3 comments:

  1. It is interesting to me that pop culture is not just entertainment, it is culture. Conversations, commercials, even movies include pop culture texts in order create a comical experience, commonality or even prove a point. Pop culture resonates with its audience in a way that other texts cannot do.

    I enjoyed the conversation on convergence culture, because that is exactly what pop culture does, it converges or merges with existing culture, and the pop culture, or even fantasy becomes reality in a sense. We see it all around us; people quote and apply pop culture references to real day-to-day situations. The characters, instances and lyrics all become real to a person, which allow social interaction to create convergence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Media convergence has been a fascinating subject to me for several years now, I just didn’t always know what it was called. I remember in a family communication class hearing some statistic that said the average teenager consumes 27 hours of media each day (or something like that). This is because teenagers consume multiple levels of media all at the same time: texting, listening to music, playing on Facebook, online chatting, with a movie playing in the background. That’s a lot of media. Now, I don’t remember the source of the statistic or what the exact hour-consumption number was, but I remember that teenagers are suspected to consume the equivalent of more media than there is/are hours in the day.

    The level to which teenagers—and probably us too—consume media raises the question: is the availability and reliance on media a good thing or a bad thing for the communication skills of future generations. I could certainly support arguments for either side. Personally, I would argue that the prevalence of media and the addiction to consuming multiple mediums simultaneously isn’t necessarily good or bad. It all depends on how we use it.

    If we consume media in such a manner that we are more intelligent, more competent communicators, and more likely to be functioning, contributing members of society, then I say it’s okay. If we’re getting dumber* because of what we watch, listen to, hear, read, and pour into our poor malleable minds, then all of society is damned.

    *Note, I know that dumber isn’t a very good word, it just felt right there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Convergence is inevitable, and I like it. I agree that we are all multi-taskers. I might be a little more simple than most people since I don't have an Ipod, or Ipad, or use my phone for much more than calling, but I like that I can play solitaire on my computer, while chatting with someone on Facebook, and listen to music.

    I'm waiting for the day when my TV does it ALL, and I won't have to hook in a ton of cords to different media outlets. I find convergence very convenient, and think it is also making us lazy. Imagine if we had to get up whenever we wanted a channel changed and manually change it ourselves... Seems like something that belongs back in the dinosaur erra.

    ReplyDelete