Thursday, February 4, 2021

Ta- Loca!

The George Lopez Show-

Ta Loca! As George Lopez says in the late night show  the George Lopez show. This is something common  the character says throughout the TV SitCom  soon after his wife says something to him that he thinks is just outrageous. The reading about the “Beauty & the Patriarchal Beast comes into mind, due to how relatable the  George Lopez show is. An immense amount of sit-comes have been presenting beautiful smart, strong, and witty women who are often married and partnered up with inept, obese, obnoxious, immature, and somehow  always in some kind of trouble type of men.If my memory serves me right, I remember always laughing at George because of all the obnoxious jokes and remarks he makes around everyone. From what I can recall, Regina was always getting mad at George about something. She usually was always right and would always have the stance of crossing her arms and saying “I told you so” to her husband. 

Interestingly enough it was quite nice to see this new type of show develop.  Other remarkable shows similar to George Lopez would be Modern Family, the Simpsons, and Family guy. One of the things most of these shows have in common would be the fact that they all have men who are shown in a certain light that demeans them and ridicules them. Oftentimes, women in these kinds of shows are shown making fun of them or proving them wrong. Another interesting part in the insights of “Beauty & the Patriarchal Beast” was the fact that domestic comedies do not often show “macho men” only because women are the target audience for sitcoms(slide 5). I find it interesting to see that this is the common trend for people like me. After reading this article, I am convinced that film writers these days do everything in their power to target women like me. Since the majority of the shows that I find entertaining or appealing are shows that are constantly being made. Therefore already showing us things that have already been “pre-digested”.



A question I have for my fellow classmates is are there shows you think target a specific group directly? If so what are they ? and in this case, what are the common trends that movies or shows you started noticing? 





No comments:

Post a Comment