Thursday, February 11, 2021

We are Young

     Probably by far  my favorite section of our reading all semester. Music in general has always been a favorite pastime of mine. It probably doesn’t matter what I’m doing, I always find an excuse to listen to music. I listen to music while showering, doing  homework, working out, working,or even cleaning. Music has always influenced my mood. Interestingly enough I can honestly say that I consider music as an aesthetic. A term that comes easily to me now is Musical Aesthetics, according to Sellnow, it's the appreciation and evaluation of musical form or design (Sellnow,pg 170). I would consider myself someone who appreciates music to the extent of simply just enjoying listening to music. I agree with the idea that Music as communication is often used for individuals  and unique meanings each of us might give to certain types of musical work. For example, the song “ We are Young” by F.U.N would be considered an uplifting song. Others might interpret the song otherwise resulting with a different set of unique meaning and understanding to the individual.  Back in high school this would be a song I constantly listened to when I needed to feel good. I sometimes think of all the times I’ve been feeling down or depressed and very often music was always there to comfort me. It was honestly something I was always able to lean on. 

Another thing I found interesting would be the fact that music is able to communicate emotions by determining  the  release pattern & intensity  pattern.  Release patterns are feelings of relief as opposed to intensity patterns which are feelings of tension(Dewey 1934). Examples of release patterns could be piano  pieces called “River Flows” by Yiruma.  This is an excellent example of a soothing melody that can lead to release patterns. This can mirror a heartbeat , depending on how fast a certain beat is the heart rate would soon follow the rhythm. As opposed to an intensity pattern like “Eye of the Tiger” by Survivor. Thus resulting with a faster resting heartbeat. 


My question to my fellow classmates would be are there songs in your life that can communicate certain release or intensity patterns? If so, what are they and why would they be considered a release or intensity pattern.






1 comment:

  1. Allison,
    I agree by far the best readings of the semester. For me, I listen to Pandora A LOT! My release pattern of music happens to be Disney Radio. The station plays songs from movies such as Moana, Hercules, Princess and the Frog, It's a Small World. If I am stressed out at work, I put headphones in and listen to Disney songs. It calms me down and helps to balance me. Intensity pattern music for me is music with lyrics that you cannot comprehend what they are saying, such as most of the music played on the radio currently. I usually get frustrated with the radio and turn it off. I find that artists such as CardiB or Post Malone slur their words and that creates an intensity pattern for me.
    Thanks for the insight.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete