Friday, January 29, 2021

Abundance...….Culture, or Popular?

 



    In this day and age with the abundance we have. I find it difficult to make decision every day, and it’s usually the small decisions I get hung up on. Such as what movie to watch, what song I want to listen to. Scroll through scroll of Netflix, amazon prim, or what song to listen to, and on what platform to listen on. Spotify, slacker radio, Pandora…….having access to so many options and so many genres of movies and music. I find it very easy to get sidetracked. I find it amusing that these insignificant decisions take up a lot of time during my day. Furthermore, I find it interesting at how influential this modern day “art” has on my life.  Benjamin’s “Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction” brings up and interesting point how art is lacking in value due to mass production. What is an “artist” this day and age? Is it a pretty face that has a great voice that sings songs that someone else wrote? Or, is a thousand prints of an original painting valued as high as the original? Why, or why not? What’s even more intriguing is how influential this form of mass production appeals and associates to the “Masses”. How easy it is this day and age that a three minute Pop Song gathers more masses that only world churches wish they could amass. Are we dehumanized by this abundance? Missed informed? Or are we more in tune to our humanity? Or, just going along with what is popular right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment