Friday, January 22, 2021

xoxo, marxism.

 The popular Netflix series "Gossip Girl" was the first thing I thought of after reading about Marxism and watching the videos. Gossip Girl is follows the lives of the "Upper East Siders." The main character is a privileged beautiful socialite. Throughout the show it shows the very glamorous and not so glamorous lives of these teens. With all drama being exposed by an anonymous blogger that spills the drama and personal lives of these teens with the famous sign off of "xoxo, gossip girl." 

These teens are looked at as the "elite" they are above everyone and hold a power over the other characters that are not as fortunate. As the seasons go on it shows characters try to get their way to the top and put on a facade of having money to become like the popular rich girls, and others find out that with money does not buy everything. There are characters that learn that money fix problems especially from this anonymous Gossip Girl spreading their secrets. 

When I watched the video of the rich man trying to buy his life while the ship was sinking and the man throwing his money back at him basically saying his money is worthless there and throwing money at a problem won't make it go away (probably for the first time ever in his life). While watching this when I was younger made me want to live on the upper east side because I viewed a happy life as a glamorous one, like I saw these teens living. I wanted to go to galas and have a butler. It is interesting that most of these characters were not happy. Most of them were a lot more unhappy than the average teens, but I still longed to be rich because of the status it seemed to give them. 

My questions are: Does having money make you more elite than the average person? Does having more money cause you to have more problems? 


                                         

1 comment:

  1. For the first question I think it depends on who you are asking that question to. The reason I say that is because people with money may think that is the case but a lot of people might say that good character means a lot more in the end to them than how much money a person has ever could. For me I think that it can buy you more things but I would rather be friends with someone who has good character and not as much money and I would hope that people think that about me as well.
    For the second question I think that having more money can definitely give you more problems because more people tend to have their eyes on you when you have more money. It seems that is just how it works unless you live a life where no one really knows that you have money and in that case I would say that it doesn't come with more problems but it certainly does when you flaunt it.

    ReplyDelete