Friday, January 15, 2021

Let's study The Bachelor

I found it interesting to learn more about how many academics balk at the idea of studying pop culture. The reading "Pop Culture Studies Turns 25" illustrated how Ray Browne from Bowling Green State University was a sort of commander of bringing pop culture studies to the academic world. It was not met without hesitation and 'embarrassment' by some academics though. To these criticisms though, Brown said, "I'll file a grievance if you're suggesting there's some aspect of culture that's forbidden to be studied." Professor Christopher Geist of the same university is quoted in the article agreeing with Browne, with a caveat, "I'm not at all afraid to say some TV rots the brain, but I want to understand why people are drawn to it."

While there are many (some would argue all) aspects of pop culture that seem to be pointless, and rot the brain, it's important to look deeper and see why people are drawn to it. I've thought this many times with popular TV shows, what draws people in? As a personal fan of the Bachelor franchise (absolute and total brain rot TV), I would love to uncover the deeper meaning for so many people (including myself) being drawn to what can only be described as a dumpster fire of a TV show. Yet I find myself glued to the TV every Monday at 7 PM. The Bachelor is a part of pop culture, but why? Why has it become so big, and lasted as long as it has? TO study the Bachelor, to some academics, would be an absolute waste of time and resources, but with the following it has, and the power it holds in shaping viewer's ideas of what love and relationships should look like, it's a prime example of something from pop culture that is still worthy of being studied. 



Question for the class: How have you seen your favorite TV shows shape a belief or value of yours?

1 comment:

  1. During Christmas, like everyone else, I was sequestered in my home with my husband. It didn't seem as "warm and fuzzy" as Christmas usually does. So, we binge watched the Hallmark Channel Christmas movies. Though it didn't change our belief or even a small value, we did find ourselves becoming more entrenched in the traditional Christmas feelings of good will and happiness. We even enjoyed watching a snowy winter.

    ReplyDelete